Monday, January 21, 2008

Juno it's about time.... UPDATED

I'm still basking in the glow of my success and running prowess.... Heh! Except for the sometimes excruciating pain in my left foot. I hope I didn't fracture a bone. I have incredibly flat feet (they make suction cup farty noises if I walk barefoot across a damp hard surface), and wear arch supports in my athletic shoes. Not ideal for running long distances. If the pain keeps up, I'll go in for an x-ray or check with my podiatrist.

Last Saturday I got a call from the two little boys' court-appointed advocate. He wanted to check in with me, ask me some questions, and let me know that the "team" will be deciding on a permanent home for the boys on Tuesday (tomorrow!). These are the two little boys ages 3 and 4 who were meth babies. I am one of 8 families being considered. And one of the families is the foster mother (or foster parents, not sure). I want to take it as a really good sign that I was notified about the boys on my birthday, and that his call happened the same day I went and saw the movie "Juno"--I went to the early show and got his call in the afternoon. "Juno," if you haven't heard about it or seen it, is about a teenage girl who gets pregnant, decides to have the baby and picks a couple to adopt the child. The fact that it's smart and sassy and has some terrific lines, albeit somewhat over the top and unlikely, is beside the point. SPOILER ALERT! STOP NOW - SKIP TO NEXT PARAGRAPH! The fact that she picks a couple that later breaks up and she still chooses the wife to be a single mother to her baby is where the rubber meets the road in my connecting the call to the movie.

Needless to say, I'm obsessing about the boys, whether or not it will be a good match, whether or not I'll even be chosen, how likely or not is it that I'll be chosen given the odds, what does it mean that he called me, and when he asked if the case worker or anyone else had called me yet and they hadn't, does that mean the others aren't considering me? Okay, yeah. Since I'd prefer not to be disappointed, I think I'll go with: "It's unlikely that I will be chosen, but I'm glad I've been considered... I have to trust that the caseworker, child advocate, and whoever else is making the decision are best positioned to choose a good match. I will be happy for the boys whatever the outcome. A good match will happen for me eventually."

I should know by Wednesday. And you'll be the 4th to know once I hear. (First being my mom, 2nd sister, and 3rd R...)

TUESDAY NIGHT UPDATE: I still don't know, but I'm assuming it's a no go for me. I found the kiddos foster mom's website - just a little google action and what do you know!? The family has 7 kids, and the two little ones have a biological baby sister. Sheesh... I'd hate to break them up. I think the foster family probably got them, but I should know that for certain tomorrow. ALSO found out that the younger of the two is a GIRL! not a boy. She's absolutely beautiful - they both are. Little blond darlings. Anywho. I will post again when I know for sure, for sure.

WEDNESDAY MORNING UPDATE: I was not chosen. ...maybe next time... This is a very frustrating process. From now on, if the foster family are in the mix of families "vying" for a child or children, I'm going to just assume they will likely get the placement. And I will need to further consider becoming a foster-to-adopt parent. Basically I just need to shell out some money for home repairs to the home I rent (yes, unfair) so it would pass inspection for a foster care license. Alright. I'm running late... Thanks all for your well wishes!

8 comments:

battynurse said...

Good luck with the kiddos. I hope it all works out for you and if not, I hope you find something else soon that does work out for you.

singletracey said...

Good luck Chelle! I am hoping and praying you get the good news first thing in the morning!

Unknown said...

I loved the Juno movie. Really good flick.

Good luck with the boys!!!

Navigating The Rapids said...

Good luck! Will be checking in.

S&C said...

I am sorry :-(
adoption wait can be so hard sometimes..

I loved the movie Juno i cried and laughed throughout the movie.

battynurse said...

Sorry you were not chosen. I do agree though that often if the foster family is in the running to be chosen for adoption, they will likely get chosen first. I hope you find something soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm so glad I found your blog! My husband and I are in the beginning stages of our Arizona DES adoption journey - trying to arrange an intake to move on to PS-MAPP. I am anxious for your journey to be complete! Good luck!

L at
http://arizonaadoption.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelle,
Thanks for the post on my blog - yes, I would love to know the name of your agency and any tips/pointers/insight you can offer would be great!

http://arizonaadoption.blogspot.com