Monday, August 04, 2008

To root or wing or both

I'm planning on getting some new digs... I'd been thinking about it for some time, and just working at cleaning up my credit as much as possible. Then I found out a friend of mine had gotten his RE license and thought, what the hell. I'll help him get experience, and I'll feel comfortable asking him stupid questions. So I emailed him on 7/22, signed a contract with him on 7/23, and got names of possible mortgage brokers to see what I might prequalify for.

I started looking at listings and so did he, without knowing my price range. I also drove around and found a couple houses to check listings on. Finally, a week later he asked me if I was getting all I needed from the mortgage broker. I had to fess up that I hadn't called yet, but it prompted me to do it. I think I was a little afraid... how's my credit in relation to what I need for the loan I want? how much can I get? will they tell me to take a hike? am I really ready for this? how much will I need for a down payment? (cuz I don't have anything, and I need to know how long I'll have to save) Within 2 hours of the call I made, I was pre-qualified for a loan. I knew my price range. I found out about the loan possibilities (F*H*A) and down payment requirements (3%, payable by seller with Amer*idream thru Oct. 1 when that loophole goes away). So we started shopping in earnest. I found a number of listings I was interested in and sent them all to the realtor. He also suggested a few. We made an appt. to go look at some houses last Saturday, 8/2. We looked at 9 houses. One of them really stuck in my head, so we made an offer the next morning (yesterday). I haven't received a counter offer yet, but heard one would be coming. We'd indicated we want to have something by tomorrow, Tuesday, close of business. We also indicated in the offer that we want to close on 8/27.

SO - I may be a homeowner as early as 3 weeks from now, just 5 weeks from when I contracted my realtor. But I'm not counting my chickens, so to speak. I've had enough disappointment to know not to spend time "dreaming" about possibilities. I am really excited, though, and hoping this works out. And if it doesn't, there are 100 more homes in my price range in this area, so I'll likely be a home owner within the next 2 months, anyway. My wild pups need a back yard to run in! And I'd like to do foster-adopt, and am more inclined to do whatever home improvements, changes, etc. to meet state requirements on a home I own rather than one I rent.

Speaking of adoption--kids, not dogs--the one little girl that was a more recent possibility didn't work out. The case worked didn't consider me. So there's nobody on the horizon for me yet. Still. And I can celebrate my 1 year anniversary for adoption certification on August 18.

Speaking of anniversaries, yesterday marked 23 years since I'd gotten married (we were only together 3 years, then separated for 3 before we divorced). Interesting that it was commemorated by my first offer on my first house. Took me awhile to grow up...

6 comments:

C said...

Wow, welcome in advance to Home Ownership....it is Fabulous..at least overall. Keep me posted!!! Congrats sweetie!

battynurse said...

Wow. I hope the house buying goes great. I know when I bought mine I was scared to do it too but was surprised at how it all worked out. Happy shopping.

The Beauty Junkie said...

Sorry about the adoption. But congrats on home owner status!

S AND C said...

Congrats on the house possibility!

Navigating The Rapids said...

It's always nice to have something that's yours, hope all goes well and you're a homeowner soon.

The Mother Hen said...

I am amazed at housing prices in your area. Good luck! We will most likely be down there for the Christmas holidays to do some home shopping ourselves. We are gearing up to buy our first rental property in PHX in the spring.