Thursday, May 17, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

I spoke to the Department of Economic Security about "my boys" yesterday, and yes, they're still available. Of course they won't HOLD them for me, but at least I know their current status. The adoption agency called me today AND the gal is going to work with me to make up a missed class and catch me up on paperwork (the classes started last Tuesday), and allow me to make up one other class I'll miss when I'm on vacation. The alternative was to wait until July 24 to start the 10-week series of classes required for adoption certification. I'm going in tomorrow morning to pick up my paperwork and give her my five references. Then in the next week or two, she'll come to my house for a preliminary check. I also have to go get finger prints (two sets) next week. WOW! and HOLY SHIT!!

I know, it seemed like just Tuesday I wasn't sure what I was doing. Now, just two days later, I'm planning to start (or am already a week into) the process of becoming certified to adopt. Of course now that I'm more seriously considering, and even working toward, adopting two "older" children, the questions and comments are starting...

"Are you sure you want to adopt an older child?"
"Two boys??"
"You know they're going to have lots of problems, right?"
"I thought you wanted a baby."
"Are you sure you don't want to wait for a baby?"
"That'll be a big change..."

You're telling me.

I really do feel compelled to do exactly what I'm doing. AND, as another friend said, "You're still young! You can easily adopt a baby in a few years!" She's so sweet.

I can't tell you how excited I am. And, yes, terrified. But mostly excited!

5 comments:

Supermom said...

I am so proud of you. I think it is a great choice. There are so many wonderful, beautiful, heartbroken children who would love to be a part of a family with you.

singletracey said...

I too am soo proud of you! You are a wonderful woman and will make a wonderful mother to these boys or any other child. I think it is wonderful and my heart feels great right now knowing that this is moving forward for you. YEAH... Have a great weekend Chelle!

Unknown said...

You are great for doing this. Yeah for you!!! I think it will work out to be a wonderful situation... I am so happy for you! Yes there will be challenges, but there are challenges in everything... even brand new babies!

Cheryl said...

I say go for it! You have to follow your heart.

battynurse said...

Congrats. I'm glad that everything seems to be falling into place pretty well. Good luck.