Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Holiday Q&A

I got this from Michell's blog who got it from Candace's blog... Play along, won't you??

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?? Egg Nog - I already drank a quart this week. *BRP*
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? At my family's house & growing up, always just set under the tree.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Nothing at my house. Family does both/and.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope. Why would I hang a parasite in the house?
5. When do you put your decorations up? What decorations?
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Stuffing, mashed potatoes and brown gravy (all meat-free, of course).
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Not sure that there is just one--it's more of a conglomeration. I loved having the big Thanksgiving dinners at my grandparent's house growing up. The cooking, the eating all day, the conversation and teasing and playing with my cousins. Sometimes it was the only day of the year I might see some of those folks.
8. When and how did you learn there was no Santa? I was 9 years old, at my cousins' house for summer vacation. Sitting in the back seat of my aunt's car with cousins, they asked if I still believed in Santa. I said yes. They laughed. They straightened me out about the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy as well. Then, not sure if it was the same day or the next, but shortly thereafter they baptized me with the laying on of hands and told me I would be able to speak in tongues. Cool! I practiced and practiced... When I showed my aunt that it worked--I could speak in tongues--she told me it was something I should keep to myself. Kind of like masturbation, I guess...
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? It was always everything on Christmas Eve. And usually a gift or two on preceding days.
10. What kind of cookies does Santa get put out for him? Sugar cookies.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? LOVE IT.
12. Can you ice skate? Have never tried.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I've received a lot of very thoughtful gifts over the years. And I loved the diamond earrings my husband gave me when we were married 20 years ago... Yikes! But I most remember a bad boot trend in gifts. In 2000, my boyfriend gave me some great hiking boots... about 5 days after Christmas when he was breaking up with me. In 2002, a different boyfriend gave me a pair of boots the day before he took me to the airport to go home for Christmas... he was sleeping with someone else before I got home a week and a half later.
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Going home to visit my family.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Mom makes some really fun candies and cookies - but I think the chocolate covered nut clusters are my favorite.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? With my family, we always take a walk before opening presents and Santa always manages to get gifts under the tree while we're out walking. We can usually convince my niece that she sees Santa in the sky. She even saw his shadow on the ground last year... She's 9 as of yesterday. This will probably be our last year with Santa for her. But my other niece will be 2 1/2 next year, so Santa will keep coming to their house for awhile.
17. What tops your tree? What tree?
18. Which do you prefer: Giving or Receiving? I'm not answering that... Okay. I love to give, but I've been poor for several years now. Mom usually gives me some great gifts. This year I get some silverware ($20 Target) that I've been wanting. And I'm sure there will be more.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Bing Crosby's "White Christmas," and Bob & Doug MacKenzie's "12 Beers of Christmas"
20. Candy Canes- love em or leave em? Like 'em fine.
21. Favorite Christmas movie? A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life.
22. When does your tree get taken down? What tree?

3 comments:

C said...

Chelle, oh....I LOVE your responses. Some of them made me laugh out loud. I am telling you you are super witty...you must be a natural born Smart A*S like myself....LOL! Hehehe. Merry Christmas Lady:)

Unknown said...

Just checking on you and seeing how your cycle is going? You are on your trip right? I hope all is well.

Chelle said...

all is just great, Meg! Thanks for checking in!!