Saturday, December 23, 2006

It Was the Day Before the Day Before Christmas, and All Through the House...

I think the first thing out of my nine-year-old niece's mouth this morning was, "I get to open a present today..." She gets to open one present a day early -- our family has always opened our gifts on Christmas Eve. Then she went to the tree and picked the gift she wanted. And, since she knows the gift has to be approved first, she went for a conservative smallish rectangle from Grammy and Poppa. She has to wait until evening, usually after dinner, to open it. But she's all ready, and I guarantee obsessing about it this minute.

Reminds me of what it was like when I was a kid. And how the idea of opening presents, seeing if you got what you really, really wanted, was the highlight of the year. Well, actually, I suppose the "getting" what you really, really wanted was the highlight, but short of the getting, the anticipation was major!

You lose that after awhile. Having faced more than a few little disappointments and the fact that the giving becomes more important than the receiving, we grow out of this pre-gift-unwrapping obsession of "what's in the packages?".

TTC is a throwback to those days. If you temp, it's every day, first thing, "is it up where it's suppose to be"? If you're peeing on sticks, you know it should or shouldn't or maybe will have two dark lines. You have an idea of what should be, but you have to test to confirm it. And then the TWW. Did it or didn't it? Do I have symptoms? Eating and drinking every day as though you're pregnant. And each day leading up to a reasonable day to test... what's reasonable? The day before the day before AF? The DAY BEFORE THAT? Or just wait for AF to get here?

I'm 3 DPO now. I plan to test on 11 DPO. That's the day I leave Seattle and return to Phoenix. The day before the day before the day before AF. Would love to share some good news with my family. And, but I'll know that if it's negative, it doesn't mean a thing. BFN means nothin'. It's either BFP or AF. And really, either one is a gift if you're 43 and TTC. At least, I'm thinkin', I still have a chance.


Kobi is whining softly to me. I poured the hot water on his food upstairs to get it softened up a while ago. He's sure it's time to eat now and thinks I need a reminder to go back up and put his food on the floor for him. Best get to it and back to the family.

It's raining outside. It's warm and the Christmas tree is lit on the inside. The house smells sweet with the sugar cookie and candy making that went on yesterday. And my two beautiful nieces are running circles around the staircase upstairs.

Love to you & yours, and Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Solstice!!

4 comments:

The Mother Hen said...

Sounds like a nice day is beginning where you are. It feels so strange to be just 30 minutes away from you. Lets just say that if I haven't had this baby we should have lunch Wednesday or Thursday next week, which ever works best for you. I did a little shopping yesterday and had a few contractions, but so far he seems to be staying put. Of course that could change at any moment. Have a good holiday!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are having a good Christmas.... enjoy yourself and give that Kobi of yours a hug from me.

battynurse said...

Merry Christmas!!!!
So you grow out of that anticipation of whats in the gift?? Darn. I haven't yet but in Christmas years I'm only 12. Sounds like you are having a great time with your family. I hope the tww isn't too torturous.

C said...

Merry, Merry Christmas! Have a fun Holiday season! Enjoy the extended family & spoil Kobi for me!