Thursday, November 09, 2006

Another Morphine Patch, Please

Kobi's home and doin' better. Gosh, I was so sad and scared when I saw him about an hour post-op. His eyes were slack (looked a bit like a hound dog), and the blood. Eewww! He's got a bad tummy since he's been home. Thrown up... hmmmm... 7? 8 times? Been hooked up to an IV and not much interested in further fluids. Whines, wimpers. But better. I'll be sleeping on the floor with him tonight so my visiting mom can get some rest. I'll know more about the cancer (margins and grade) in about 10 days.

Thanks all for the well wishes and virtual hugs. I'll give him kisses from each of you tonight!

November 12 update:
Took the morphine patches off this morning as instructed and gave Kobi his pain pills. Normally I can just shove pills into the back of his throat, but I can't force his mouth open for a couple more weeks. He lucks out and gets the meatball treat. I can't believe how bad his breath is!! I do try to lavage his mouth with water after he eats, but he really fights it. I can't get over how he has no idea why this was done to him. I believe the surgery was in his best interest (and mine), but I saw the CT scan of his head. I know how big (or small) his brain is... He has no understanding of why part of his mouth was removed. Poor baby...

4 comments:

Chelle said...

He's doing much better already. He ate breakfast and drank water on his own today (Friday). Still prone to whine occasionally--but I don't blame him!

C said...

what terrific news! Sounds like Kobi is healing better than I would under the same circumstances. We luv ya Kobi! Sounds like your Kobi is an excellent running partner and a wonderful friend. Keep us posted:)

Chelle said...

Kobi continues to improve, whining less and less. He's eating well. Still isn't drinking as much as I would hope, but at least he's drinking -- he hates the syringe of water idea. He has a sore on the outside of his lip on the left, side where part of the upper jaw (maxilla) was removed, that I'm watching. A little worried, but am hoping the worst is behind us. The morphine patch comes off tomorrow (Sunday) morning and we'll switch to pills.

Unknown said...

Ahhh... give Kobi a big ole hug from us and our four babies! It is so hard to see them sick.... I am praying for him and hope he makes a speedy recovery... Give him lots of lovins and all that extra special treatment! I am sure that you are anyhow :)