Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Kobi-boo, maybe not so good as he seems

(blue is for blue) We had a three-week post-op follow-up visit with his oncologist today. The news was not so good, and I’m pretty torn up. He has an aggressive form of osteosarcoma, not the “MLO”-brand they thought it was originally. This has a high metasteses rate to the lungs, although there isn’t studies available on his maxillary variety. The mandibular variety has a 35% rate within 1 year, whereas the “long bone” osteosarcoma has a 95% rate. Not sure where his fits. Also, the margins of the tumor were incomplete, so there is some cancer tissue remaining in his mouth. It is expected the tumor will regrow.

Doc recommends chemo now, since it's a different type of cancer than she thought, to slow down tumor regrowth and metasteses. It would also increase his chance of survival from four to six months currently to one year, with a 25% chance of two years. Unfortunately, I really can't afford it. I’ve already spent more than $8K on his medical issues this year (or rather went that much further into debt). Breaks my heart, but I can’t see spending an additional $2K to $4K and only buying him another 6 mos. I am putting him on some Chinese herbs and vitamins, and will try to keep his immune system healthy.
This really, really sucks… But I’ll try to stay positive and make every day a good day for him. And for me.

As far as the TWW goes, it is slow and very, very painful. I have more movies to keep me busy. Good thing, cuz I don't seem to be letting work get in the way of my TWW thoughts... I could at least use a break in the evenings. But like I said, I think my focus may shift a bit more off of me and onto the Kobester. We'll just see how it goes.

10 comments:

battynurse said...

Chelle,
I am sooo sorry about the news you received about Kobi. I know how painful it is to be faced with a decision such as that when it comes to your "baby". I wish there was something else I could say but know that you are in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

well I cried when I read this about Kobi. I have four furbabies and they are my angels... and it breaks my heart to hear your bad news. I can't describe in words how much my babies mean to me, so I know how much today had to hurt you and I am so sorry. You have a great attitude though about making his last days the best ever. Make him the most spoiled doggie on earth.... Give him some hugs and kisses from me. Let him know me, kris, and our four babies are thinking of him and making sure his mommy spoils him as I know she will.

Unknown said...

oh do you have an email address, would like to send Kobi something.....

singletracey said...

hey there... just wanted to say how sorry I am about Kobi.. I totally understand your pain. Like Meg said.. spoil him rotten, tell him how much you love him and give him lots of hugs..and dont forget to give him some from your friends at NW. My thoughts are with you and Kobi...

Chelle said...

My boo-boo is SICK of me. I'm forever kissing on him, hugging him, loving him up... I'm giving "hovering" a new depth in meaning. And he coughed this morning. And yesterday. It's too soon - his presurgical lung x-rays were clear. But I panic when he coughs. It's not usual for him. Today, I have no idea why he coughed. Yesterday, I think it was nerves, at the vet, and his saliva was working overtime. But damn, it makes me worry! Which takes my mind off the TWW, but probably doesn't help...

Jen said...

Chelle, I'm sure Kobi's not sick of you at all!!! I'll bet your love and kisses and hugs are being received very enthusiastically by him, and he needs that right now. Too much love is never a bad thing, especially where animals are concerned. Keep loving your boy! My thoughts are with you!

Unknown said...

Sorry about Kobi. Give him hugs and kisses for me. My thoughts and prayers will be with you!
-C

Momai said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. My dog sends an ear lick, we hope it helps Kobi feel a bit better.

Unknown said...

Give Kobi some more hugs from us.. even if he is tired of it!!! :) How is he doing now by the way?

Chelle said...

Thanks, Meg, Momai, Angie, Jen, EVERYBODY! Kobi & I really appreciate the outpouring of sympathy. He is doing pretty good. His system is acting up a little from all the new herbs on top of the super high protein diet to which he recently has adapted. Being vegetarian, I gotta say that making his little pill meatballs, which I'll probably be doing the rest of his life, is pretty gross. I do buy vegetarian canned food for this when I can -- it's not as greasy, smelly or sticky. Okay. He likes the meatballs a LOT more than I do. I'll know more about how his mouth is healing when we go back to the oncologist's on the 12th. I will let you know! He seems good, though. Adapting to his changed mouth pretty well. In fact he ate all the hard cat food the other day without any apparent problems... :)!!