Friday, November 17, 2006

Two Tofurkey or Not Two Tofurkey

1) My OV Watch showed "fertile day one" today! It's suppose to do a four day countdown to the LH surge based on changes in the sodium chloride ions secreted in the wearer's perspiration. (The LH surge comes four days after the sodium chloride surge ends.) My CBEFM still registered low today. I do see a faint, faint second line on the stick hours after the test, which hasn't been there on previous days, so I think it's/I'm gearing up, even if the monitor didn't read it. According to the OV Watch, which solely reads the sodium chloride surge, my LH surge will be on CD 15, and I'll ovulate between CD 15 and CD 16. I'll likely be AI'ing Thanksgiving Day, 6am, 6pm and 6am Friday. (Which means I might be heading home early from a Thanksgiving potluck or staying home with my tofurkey [see separate post for recipe]). I HOPE the CBEFM confirms! And yes, I'm so obsessive I WILL be testing with OPK pee sticks on CD 14, 15 and 16 as necessary to try to triple confirm.

I MIGHT COULD USE SOME ADVICE ON TIMING FROM THE EXPERIENCED OUT THERE... if ovulation occurs 12-36 hours after the surge (and I've also read 24-48 hours after)... if my surge occurs at midnight or earlier on Wednesday, and I don't get a reading of that surge until Thursday, it would seem I should AI immediately, particularly if my egg is one that is only viable for 6 hours, so the sperm has time to get where it needs to go.


2) My boyfriend is around this year rather than in Colorado with family (he's there now instead), and we thought we'd spend Thanksgiving together, even if that meant going to a potluck, which I usually do (but again, not sure if I'll do that or stay home). He's not really a part of this conception goal I have - he supports what I'm doing, but doesn't want to be a father again yet (he has a young daughter), and isn't the right father at this point in time for my child.

It is what it is, but I'm wondering how awkward it's going to be to AI and enjoy Thanksgiving with him, or if we should just take a pass this year. I guess I'll ask him Wednesday night at (or after) the hockey game... Honestly, though, he wouldn't eat the tofurkey in any case.

4 comments:

battynurse said...

Ok, I have no experience in the actual AI process so don't know about that although that is a good question. As far as spending the holiday with boyfriend, if he is accepting of your decision then it shouldn't matter. However in the long run, you need to do what's right for you. I personally wouldn't hold off on AI just because he might be bothered. You've let him know your plans and although he doesn't want to participate, he hasn't left. However if you were planning to ask him to assist with speculums etc, I'd skip that idea, it might be a bit much. Good luck.

Chelle said...

HAhahaha... I was thinking it was weird enough envisioning him in the living room watching football while I'm in my bedroom AI'ing! Oh, girl - it's on! Logistics might just be a little bit strange. Or I'll spend TD alone, which is fine, too. Candles, sparkling wine, Barry White... heehee

Anonymous said...

FYI:
"Earlier this year, Fertility and Sterility magazine ran an article demonstrating that many women using the LH kits will miss ovulation after clomiphene (clomid). Although the pregnancy rates were statistically the same, 23% of the women using LH kits missed their surge and did not have an IUI. That number is consistent with other studies. So, if you are using an OPK to determine your LH surge before an IUI, you might be missing out. Consider using OV-Watch to determine "timing" when you are getting an IUI. Dr. Bates consistently suggests doing the IUI on fertile day 3 or 4 of OV-Watch."

Chelle said...

This stuff is such fun! Timing is everything. Thanks anonymous - you got me thinking... and I'll write more in my next blog post.