Sunday, November 19, 2006

Chelle's Own Tofurkey Recipe

I have created my own variation from a couple recipes I pulled off the web a few years ago. I can even get an 8 year old to eat it, and she often says at various times throughout the year how much she likes it (or maybe she just misses me...).

Note that you don't want to overdo tofu or other soy products when attempting to conceive. A couple servings per day should prove more healthful than not consuming any, but you definitely don't want to get too carried away. My online research showed that 60 grams of soy protein consumed daily for two months could lengthen a woman's cycle by two days. However cultures that consume tofu and soy products on a regular basis do not show lowered fertility rates. As the fertility window for women trying to conceive is so precious, moderation is advised.


"Sausage Stuffing" Stuffed Tofu Turkey

Tofurkey:
3 lbs extra firm tofu, crumbled and molded into a colander lined with cheese cloth. I weight the tofu down with a 5# weight on top of a plate small enough to just fit inside the colander, placed in the refrigerator over night over a bowl to catch drippings

1/2 c. sesame oil
1/4 c. tamari
2 tablespoons vegetable bullion paste (OR miso)
2 tbsp orange juice concentrate
1 tsp honey mustard
Sprinkle of hand ground thyme, rosemary and sage


Stuffing:
1/2 package Gimme Lean brand meatless sausage
1/2 c. minced onion
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
1 c. chopped mushrooms
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp vegetable broth
1 1/2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp sage
1/8 tsp pepper
3 c. plain small bread cubes

Prepare 1 c. vegetable broth (I prefer a bullion paste, the brand escapes me, but I'll edit this as soon as I go to the store and buy more!). You'll use 2 tbsp to start, and then add the rest later. Saute onion and celery in sesame oil and 2 tbsp vegetable broth until soft. Add mushrooms and garlic. Crumble in sausage and brown, chopping into smaller pieces as it cooks. Also add rosemary, thyme, sage and pepper. Once "sausage" is fully browned, mix in the bread cubes and the rest of the broth. Remove from heat and cover.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.

Combine 1/2 c. sesame oil, 1/4 c. tamari, 2 tablespoons vegetable bullion paste (OR miso), 2 tbsp orange juice concentrate, 1 tsp honey mustard, and a sprinkle of hand ground thyme, rosemary and sage in a small bowl.

Hollow out tofu to an inch lining the colander. Brush the inside of the tofu lining with the tamari mixture, and stuff with the stuffing. Use the scooped out tofu to cover the stuffing, pressing firmly. Place this flat side down on the cookie sheet and press gently on sides to form a more oval shape (if desired). Brush with 1/2 of the tamari mixture and cover with foil.

Bake for 1 hour, remove foil, baste with tamari mixture (save about 4 tbsp), and bake for another hour or until brown. Brush with remaining tamari and serve hot.

Hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

C said...

Chelle, you are totally AWESOME! I am soooo "borrowing" this Recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it....sounds just perfect. I am going to make it for New Years Day. I can't wait! Wanna hear something sad...I always buy my Tofurkey, cheaters way, isn't it? This sounds so yummy. Now about soy, it certainly is worth thinking about the possible connection with Fertility. Myself I am not certain I believe it, with my knowledge of Asian diets & their overall healthy fertility levels. I always say it helps to be aware and adjust things that make you feel better. Great questions & comments on my blog on this topic, too. Thanks for getting my mind thinking. Never can be too careful can you?
Happy, Happy Tofurkey Day, Chelle! Hug the kitties & sweet Kobi for me!

Chelle said...

What a doll you are, Candace! Happy T-Day to you, too. Hugs ALL around!

singletracey said...

Hey you! just wanted to say GOOD LUCK this AI! I will be thinking of all the NW gals this weekend..
Fertile thoughts sent your way....

Chelle said...

Thanks, Tracey! I need the luck.

I'm very excited, too!!